Tuesday, October 14, 2014

It's Hard to Believe that Two Years Have Passed

October 14, 2014 
7:48 A.M. 

It’s hard to believe that the time has gone by like it has. Two years ago today almost to the minute it felt as though time had stopped, if only briefly, but as sure as sunrise the clock continued ticking its 
inexorable march toward eternity. 

Two years ago I was visiting my parents in Louisiana and awoke that Sunday morning to the news that my Mom had died just moments before. The last time I spoke to her, the previous night before I went to bed, she told me we needed to talk before I returned home to Arkansas as she had some important information she needed to pass along to me. 

Several times over the next few hours I remember saying to anyone within earshot that Mom had said she had something important to tell me. As I recall my state of mind that day, it seemed as though by saying it that I could force her to step back into the room and tell me what was so important, my mind reaching out but not quite able to grasp the finality of what had taken place. 

Two years later I still have trouble grasping that finality. I still have moments where I almost expect my phone to ring and it will be her on the other end just wanting to chat. I still have times when I want to call her and catch her up on the latest happenings. I still have times, damn it, when I just want to talk to her, to hear her voice just one more time. 

Mom and I had a difficult relationship for much of my life but in recent years we seemed to have reached a place where neither of us spent time trying to force the other to act according to our own 
guidelines. Much of that had to do with distance. 

Twenty years ago I moved to Central Arkansas from North Louisiana and that distance likely insulated me from much of the friction that often resulted from close proximity. As far back as I can remember, Mom had always been angry with someone, but for a number of years that someone wasn't me, a happy circumstance that allowed me to draw closer to her emotionally even as I maintained 250 miles of physical distance. 

During her final illness, Mom often raged at my two brothers, one who has lived with my parents for several years and the other who moved home from Washington State to help care for her during that last six months. Wayne (the Washington brother) returned to Washington State just a week before Mom died. I think Mom wore him out but he had already stayed far past his self-imposed deadline and quite honestly, just as no one expected her to die on October 14, 2012, no one had expected her to live that long after she was diagnosed. 

She actually seemed to be getting better. When I pulled up in the yard that Saturday morning, Mom was out walking the dogs and she had just set a pretty sumptuous table for company. 

Truth be told, my biggest regret regarding Mom and that final weekend is that instead of fussing over her for the trouble she had gone to I instead fussed at her for expending what I considered to be energy she hardly had to spare. I spent months trying to will her to call me just one last time so I could tell her what an incredible meal that was and how nice the table looked. 

Later, in the middle of the night, she began having trouble breathing, to the point that she had become cyanotic, so hospice was called. The nurse came to the house and gave Mom morphine to help calm her down and ease her breathing. 

The nurse left later that morning, before 5 A.M., saying that Mom had weathered the storm and was resting comfortably. I have long suspected that Mom administered additional morphine to herself 
before the nurse arrived and that it was something close to a double dose that caused Mom to drift offto sleep and then continue on beyond the grasp of mortality. 

I have no way of proving it but I do know that Mom was terrified of dying in pain and confusion like her Mom had experienced nearly 23 years before. Also, during one of our many talks over that last six months, Mom had confided to me that at one point she had nearly died when her blood oxygen level dropped precipitously (she had to be transported to the local ER to be resuscitated) and that it felt so peaceful and inviting that she no longer was afraid to die and that if the actual event would be as peaceful and comforting as that near miss that she even looked forward to it. 

I’m not saying that Mom intentionally hastened the inevitable. I have no way of even knowing if she in fact did take any additional medication, much less intentionally or in sufficient quantity to have that result, but I will say that should I ever find myself in the same position I will consider keeping an off ramp open just in case. Because let’s face it. Once the novelty wears off of being told you have a terminal condition from which you will not recover, I can think of few things that would become more tiresome, more tedious, than simply waiting to run out of gas. 

But none of that means that I don’t still miss her. I miss the pleasure she derived from the various talents my brothers and I display and the accomplishments we have experienced. I know at various times she could make any one of our lives difficult should she find reason for disapproval in some action or failure to act but I also know that she was extremely proud of all three of her sons. 

I miss the inevitable phone calls whenever I would make a trip home on my motorcycle to make sure I was okay and hadn’t been run off the road. I miss our frequent phone conversations and the fact that I had become able to confide in her many things that would have otherwise never been said and that for the past two years don’t get said and probably never will again. 

I just miss my Mom. I think I always will. 

2 comments:

  1. Very well composed Dad. Time makes events like these bearable, but nothing in this life can replace the longing and heartbreak of losing a loved one. When Granny died (My Mom's mom) I wanted nothing more than for her to rise out of her casket and tell me how much she loved me one more time. Just one more time to tell her all things I wanted her to know. One more time to give her a hug. One more time to feel the love and affection that she brought to me. One more time to tell her I love you. Looking at her lifeless body tore a hole deep into my soul, so deep, so wide, and so vast that sometimes I feel it's mass and gravity pulling me down into the void. The last time we saw each other she was getting worse (Granny was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and ALS) . Sometime during the afternoon during my last visit, after riding the 4-wheeler, I walked inside to visit with Granny. I found her asleep on the couch. After waking her, she asked me where Granny was. That was the Alzheimer's talking. After a few uncomfortable perplexing moments she remembered that she was Granny. It was so hard for me to witness that event. To see the person I loved most in the world in such a vulnerable state. The only thing I have to remember Granny by are the letters that she wrote me when I was in my youth, distant memories and a published hardback copy of the book she wrote which included a message to me that reads; To Zachary, From Granny, I love you! She always had the most wonderful penmanship and a beautiful way with words. If I could say anything to her right now, it would be I love you too.

    After Grandma died (Your mom) I felt unusually calm, followed by burst of anger, sadness, and regret. Here recently, I opened up the picture album that Grandma pieced together of our Amtrak trip from Marshall Texas, to Salem Oregon. The pictures included various landscapes, the people we met along the way, and family. If there was one thing I knew about Grandma was that she loved family. You could tell by all of the photographs that outlined almost every single wall in her home, and filled cardboard boxes. The only people in this world that have to accept us are family. Family is a concept that keeps us together when the world try tries to push us apart. We don't have to like them, we don't have to love them, but we do have to stand by them, because in the end family is all that we have. If I could say anything to Grandma today, it would be...thank you for all the times we shared. The good and the bad, every event shapes and molds us into what we are, what we will become, and how we will be remembered.

    I said in the beginning that time makes events like these bearable. Time, what is time? Time is a thing that is measured as seconds, minutes, hours, days, years, etc.Time has been around since long before I was born. When I think about time, I think about outer space. Outer space consist of mind boggling phenomenon like Black Holes, Dark Matter, Interstellar Dust, Quasars, and the miracle of life itself. No one can be certain of how this all began, no one can be certain about how it will end. The one truth that we all cling to is that this life will end. It's not a matter of if, but when. I'm not sure of what lies on the other side, or if there is in fact another side. If there is another side, I hope I will be able to see the ones I loved most, and were most dear to me (family). If there is nothing after this life, I hope that my life brings meaning and joy to others, just as the two grandparents I mentioned have brought to me. Every breath brings us closer to our last, the only control we have is how we choose to live, we don't get a say in how we die.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks as if great writing runs in the family. :-) I enjoyed reading this. Vivian

    ReplyDelete